Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A gift for the pack rat...the stash book


My brother is a notorious pack rat and as part of my effort to make everyone something for Christmas, I've decided to encourage him. 

First, I bought this old book. Then I spent a few evenings cutting a rectangle out of the each page with an exacto knife. I did the first bunch and then used that hole as the template for the rest of the cutting.  

Here is the inside of the finished book. I glued the pages together from the inside using a basic washable glue. The I lined the inside with cardboard wrapped in corduroy fabric and hot glued them into place. 

Now Kyle has another place to put all those small items he just can't part with!

8 comments:

Darling Kelsey said...

oh the patience you possess...

Jen said...

Steph - you are awesome. Looks great.

1915buffalo said...

Excellent idea. I just hope he doesn't lose the book.

Amy Kingman said...

You're so cool! How the heck did you come up with that!? Who wouldn't want a book with a secret compartment! I mean you see them on tv... and you see how handy they are... but it's not something you can just find anywhere! I'm not kidding at all when I say I'm sooooo jealous of your brother right now. That's one sweet ass gift! :)

Amanda said...

What a good idea! I've seen that type of thing in the store, but for some reason never really thought about making one myself...your brother is one lucky guy!

Sara Therese said...

inspirational. that you are. awesome. awesome. awesome!!!!

Sara Therese said...

every page? did you glue EVERY page?

Unknown said...

No, I didn't glue every page, I'm not that completely insane...I just painted a thick layer of glue along the cut edges, hence the cord fabric covering that area. Thanks for all the great comments. It really didn't take that long and the cutting can be done in front of the TV. Let me know if you give it a try!