Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Good Grub Compilation is here, salsa anyone?

The grub is moving here. As part of Mission Simplicity, the food is coming together with all the other things I love right here!

So... Scott, the suburban farmer, has a bumper crop of tomatoes just wanting to be made into the world's best condiment: SALSA. (yeah, I threw it out there, the WORLD'S BEST!)

I read over a few recipes and then created this concoction.


The before.
I ended up using only Roma tomatoes and shied away from the fresh pepper.
Roughly, the Ingredients:
2 Romas, pureed in the food processor
6 Romas, chopped
1/2 Onion, chopped
1/2 Shallot, chopped
5 Stems worth of Cilantro leaves, chopped
3 Tbl. diced jalapenos, from a jar
1 tsp. Tabasco
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. lime juice
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar

Directions:
Mix everything together.

The after.

After everything was mixed together, I threw in some corn and black beans we had as leftovers and some chopped avocado. It turned out about like a mild salsa. Scott thought it was a little tomato-y, which was okay with me. Maybe more cilantro next time.

5 comments:

Amy Kingman said...

Yum! Looks delicious and I love that colorful tablecloth.

Unknown said...

I experimented making my own salsa for a few months a couple years ago... It may sound strange, but try adding a little bit of BBQ sauce, I used Open Pit. My family absolutely loved it. Ended up making a few jars of it for the family.

Jen said...

MMMmmmm I love homemade salsa. Sounds delish. And everything is better with a bit more cilantro as far as I'm concerned.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip Cawby (I'm assuming this is Sean). I'll definitely give that a try with the next batch!

Unknown said...

Yes it is Sean, lol... sorry, guess I could've let you know... I'm not gonna say it's a taste for everyone, but who knows... you may be a part of that niche. :-)